Eight weeks before your move:
- Contact your mover to make arrangements
for moving day.
- Remove items from your attic, basement,
storage shed, etc.
- Start to use up things you can't move,
such as frozen foods and cleaning supplies.
- Contact the chamber of commerce or visitor's
and tourism bureaus in your new community for information on your new
Six weeks before:
- If you're moving at an employer's request,
verify what expenses and responsibilities are theirs and which are yours.
Click on Meridian Mobility Resources for more information on relocation
- Contact the IRS and/or your accountant
for information on what moving expenses may be tax-deductible.
- Begin to inventory and evaluate your possessions.
What can be sold or donated to a charitable organization? What haven't
you used within the last year?
- Make a list of everyone you need to notify
about your move: friends, professionals, creditors, subscriptions, etc.
- Obtain a mail subscription to the local
paper in your new community to familiarize yourself with local government,
community, and social news and activities.
- Locate all auto licensing and registration
- If some of your goods are to be stored,
make the necessary arrangements now. (Your moving counselor at Red's
- Contact schools, doctors, dentists, lawyers
and accountants and obtain copies of your personal records. Ask for
referrals where possible.
Four weeks before:
- Obtain a change-of-address kit from the
post office and begin filling out cards. Click
here for an online form.
- Arrange a special transport for your pets
- Contact utility and related companies (gas,
electric, oil, water, telephone, cable TV and track collection) for
service disconnect AND connect at your old and new addresses. However,
remember to keep phone and utilities connected at your current home
throughout moving day.
- Contact insurance companies (auto, homeowner's
or renter's, medical and life) to arrange for coverage in your new home.
- If you are packing yourself, purchase packing
boxes. Red's can help with all of your packaging needs. Pack items that
you won't need within the next month.
- Plan a garage sale to sell unneeded items
or arrange to donate them to charity.
Three weeks before:
- Make travel arrangements and reservations
for your moving trip. However, don't make plane reservations for the
same day that you're moving out. House closings are often delayed and
other unexpected situations often arise.
- Collect important papers (insurance, will,
deeds, stock, etc.).
- Arrange to close accounts in your local
bank and open accounts in your new locale.
Two weeks before:
- Have your car checked and serviced for
the trip. Also, make sure that your auto is prepared (filled with the
necessary antifreeze/coolant, for example) for the type of weather conditions
you'll be traveling in.
- If you're moving out of or into a building
with elevators, contact the building management to schedule use of the
- Contact your moving counselor at Red's
to review and confirm all arrangements for your move.
One week before:
- Settle any outstanding bills with local
- Remember to withdraw the contents of your
safety deposit box, pick up and dry cleaning, return library books and
rented videotapes, etc.
- Take pets to the veterinarian for any needed
immunizations. Get copies of pets' records.
- Drain gas and oil from power equipment
(law mowers, snow blowers, etc.)
- Give away plants not being moved.
- Prepare specific directions to your new
home for us. Include your itinerary, emergency numbers, etc.
Two or three days before:
- Defrost your freezer and refrigerator.
Block doors open so they can't accidentally close on pets or children.
- Have your major appliances disconnected
and prepared for the move. (Again, Red's can help with arrangements
for a third party to provide these services.)
- Pack a box of personal items that will
be needed immediately at your new home. Have this box loaded last or
carry it with you in your car.
- Organize and set aside those things that
you're taking with you so that they don't get loaded on the van in error.
- Contact Red's (320-251-2833 or 800-825-2833)
to confirm arrival time of the moving van, as well as notify us of any
- Make sure that someone is at home to answer
the van foreman's questions.
- Record all utility meter readings (gas,
- Read your bill of lading and inventory
carefully before you sign them. Keep these -and all related papers -
in a safe location until all charges have been paid and all claims,
if any, have been settled.
home | top
| back to checklist